The Gatsby Benchmarks
THE GATSBY BENCHMARKS
This toolkit was created so that Enterprise Coordinators and Enterprise Advisers can better understand the career landscape for young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). The publishers worked with experts who support young people with SEND to explore what positive outcomes for young people with SEND look like, and what can be achieved by working in partnership and drawing on best practice from around the country.
This toolkit illustrates what good looks like across the 8 Gatsby benchmarks identified in 2014 by the Gatsby Charitable Foundation in the report ‘Good Career Guidance’.
The 8 Gatsby benchmarks help schools deliver high quality careers and enterprise provision:
1. A stable careers programme
2. Learning from career and labour market information
3. Addressing the needs of each pupil
4. Linking curriculum learning to careers
5. Encounters with employers and employees
6. Experiences of workplaces
7. Encounters with further and higher education
8. Personal guidance
The Gatsby benchmarks have a key role in:
· Ensuring young people can benefit from and contribute to the success of the government’s proposed new Industrial Strategy for the UK
· Underpinning the Department for Education guidance to schools and colleges on meeting their statutory responsibility for careers guidance
· Raising young people’s aspirations and promoting access to all career pathways
· Enabling all young people to develop the skills and outlook they need to achieve career wellbeing, including adaptability and resilience
This will be reviewed in July 2022.