Where a pupil, class, group or small number of pupils need to self-isolate, or there is a local lockdown requiring pupils to remain at home, DfE expects schools to be able to immediately offer them access to remote education. Schools should ensure remote education, where needed, is high-quality and aligns as closely as possible with in-school provision.
I am delighted to share with you that Fern House School will now be using either Seesaw or Google Classrooms, both secure online journals where children can access our online provision and document and reflect on what they are learning in class.
When should/should not your child access remote learning at home from Fern House School?
✔ If they are well, but self isolating because track and trace tells them to do so.
✔ If they are well, but someone in their household or bubble has tested positive so they are self isolating.
✔ If they are awaiting a result of a test, but are feeling well enough to complete home learning.
✔ If a medical professional has advised they do not come onto site but they are well enough to do school work.
X If there is no reason why your child should not be at school.
X If you have decided to home school and have withdrawn your child off the Chesterfield Primary roll.
X If you have taken an unauthorised holiday.
X If your child is poorly or unwell.
X If your child cannot access remote learning independently and adults in the home are unwell.
What will Remote Education look like whilst my child is not at school?
- Teachers will be setting learning appropriate to your child’s ability, age and stage in the year.
- Different areas of the curriculum will be planned for your child to access daily so that they do not miss out on the objectives being taught in class.
- Activities/tasks will now be directly linked to what your child would have been taught in school at that time and will make specific reference to new teaching content as well as consolidating previous learning too.
When does my child/ren complete the Remote Education activities?
- Your child/ren will need to access and upload their completed activities onto Seesaw each day.
- There will be a mixture of online and offline activities planned, as we understand that computer/devices may need to be shared within the family.
- Children should only click on the Green Tick to indicate they are finished when they are ready to share their completed learning with their teacher.
How and when will my child/ren hear from their teacher and get feedback?
- Teachers will feedback on your child’s learning regularly so that your child does not go off track if they have had a misconception.
- Teachers can also respond to questions or give pupils additional support if required.
- Feedback will come in many forms including written/typed comments, acknowledgement of learning, staff audio-recorded feedback, ‘liked’ comments and more.
- Your child may receive additional challenges to think about in their further learning if they have found something easy or they may get another similar activity if they need extra practice of the skill.
- If your child does not understand their task, they can contact the teacher via Seesaw to let them know and the teacher will respond when they are able to do so.
- If the whole class or school are absent from school due to an outbreak or lockdown, teachers will be able to respond throughout the school day. However if only one or two children in a class are absent at a time, I am sure you will understand that our teachers will only be able to give feedback at the end of school day due to their class teaching commitments.
What can I do to support my child’s home learning?
- We would recommend creating a dedicated area for your child to work on their remote education.
- We would encourage a set start and finish time that works for you and your family setting.
- Regular time to move, exercise and have a break will be beneficial for your child’s home learning experience.
- Read with your child everyday.
- Check in on what your child(ren) have achieved on a regular basis throughout the day – only upload using the green tick, when you are both happy that the task is completed fully.